Tuesday, January 8, 2013

TRAVEL TO ISRAEL – YOU CAN COME TOO!

 

I’m beginning this blog, which will include photos, videos and some other links, with the express purpose of exciting you enough about Israel that you will join me on a near future trip here. Start saving those nickels and dimes and they will eventually add up, you’ll step on an airplane, and life will never be the same again.
 
If you’re anything like me at all, I thought about going to Israel “some day,” but never really put much thought or savings in that direction. Well, “some day” turned into “some decades,” and I didn’t get here the first time until I was in my 60s. Don’t do that!
 
Instead, start thinking concretely, now, for how you can do this in the next year. My hope and plan is to take a bunch of us from Resurrection, from the St John the Baptist Deanery, from other local Anglican (and other) churches and friends, on a tour of Christian and Jewish holy sites within the next 12 months or so.


Yes, that soon. Think and pray about it seriously. Yes, you.
 


I will try to help ease the fears and raise the excitement with my blogging. I would truly love it if you will follow me every day as I do this. Experience Israel vicariously as I go, so that you are jazzed and ready to go yourself.
 
Seventeen of us went on this tour, led by Omer Eshel, the Israeli Consul in Chicago. He and I are becoming fast friends, and he will help organize the next trip when I travel with all of you! Here’s a picture of all of us at O’Hare, just before our flight. I’m in the blue plaid Northface jacket. Karl Clauson and his wife Janan are immediately to my left, and Omer just to the left of Karl.


Karl is the host of a drive-time local radio program from 4-6 PM Central, Monday through Friday, on WYLL 1160 AM, Chicago. He will be broadcasting from here starting tomorrow, Wednesday. Please tune in! You can also listen to the program online at KC180.com.
 
One of the fascinating things about this trip is the ride from New York to Tel Aviv on El Al. There were quite a number of Christians on the plane (including some famous ones that will remain unnamed), but the bulk of the passengers are Jews. They include secular Jews, religious, and VERY religious Jews – including Orthodox and Hasids. These are easily distinguished both by their clothing, and by their behavior. Most men wear black pants and white shirts with a prayer shawl (Tallit) underneath, with four tzitzit (fringes) at the corners, and a Kippa (small round cap) on their heads. Some also wear leggings, a black coat and overcoat, and a large hat – either wide-brimmed or fur trimmed.
 
The women dress very conservatively, with long skirts or dresses, stockings, and no hair showing – its usually completely covered by a knit cap or shawl. They often travel with young children and babies. They are actually quite a beautiful family sight!
 
Some of them are very tech-savvy, with iPhones, tablets and other devices, and others not at all – as if they’d stepped out of the 17th century, though of course they are all on a jet airplane!

If you look at this picture of the main cabin, you can see one older gentleman just to the left, and another far back on the right, standing and praying. This prayer is also done in small groups at certain times, such as the beginning of the day. One of the Hasid men came over to me and invited me, in Hebrew, to join them for prayer. Though I know some Hebrew, and actually had a Siddur (a Hebrew prayer book) with me, I felt too awkward and politely declined (in Hebrew).
 

Then I felt led/convicted and opened my Siddur and said the morning prayer. Part of it goes like this:

Blessed are you, Lord our God,
King of the universe,
who gives the heart understanding
to distinguish day from night.

Blessed are you, Lord our God,
          King of the universe,
          who has not made me a heathen.

Blessed are you, Lord our God,
          King of the universe,
          who has not made me a slave.
 
It goes on to thank God for giving sight to the blind, for clothing the naked, for setting captives free, for raising up the oppressed, for provision, for glory, for strength for the weary, and much, much more.
 
It is a wonderful and beautiful prayer, and it is said every day without fail, even if you’re on an airplane (in fact the people praying ignored turbulence and instructions to return to their seats, until they had finished their prayer).
 
It struck me that we Christians have lost something if we don’t set aside time each day to thank and bless Him ourselves. It just starts the day with the right attitude of heart!
 

We finally landed in Tel Aviv, and were taken by a guide named Motti (you can see the picture of him talking to us on the bus) to a very nice restaurant in Tel Aviv.
 
The food was nothing short of fabulous, so I’ve included some photos.
 
 
One of the most interesting was Hyssop, a green powder that comes wrapped in newspaper.
 
 
 
You dip your bread in it. Wonderful!
 
Properly stuffed, we finished the meal with mint tea and desserts.
 

We are off to Jerusalem tomorrow. Stay tuned!
 
-Pastor George




 

6 comments:

  1. Wow! How exciting! I will start saving what nickels and dimes I have.
    I agree, we should thank God and give praise every day.
    Looks like you will be eating healthy food for a while, no Subway sandwiches for you. Such a great opportunity, I will check in regularly. God bless : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Pastor George. I have had the desire to go myself so I will start saving as well. That food looks awesome and very different but that is what I like.

    Save travels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord. ' "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob. He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths." The law will go out from Zion, the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. ' Isa 2:3

    Thank you for sharing this Pastor George!! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are probably in Jerusalem right now, maybe sleeping. It's fun to read this and realize you're somewhere around the world right now as I sit on my living room couch. I look forward to listening to WYLL this afternoon. Sleep hard & have a great day tomorrow! Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. Ben, how fun would it be if those from Uganda and those from the U.S. met up for a joint trip to Israel! It would be wonderful to see your smiling face in Israel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a fabulous idea! We should DO IT!

      Delete